Wednesday 29 May 2013

Improving Camcorder Sound: Micromuff is Worth the Funny Looks


In making ‘prosumer’ camcorders smaller and more streamlined, Sony moved the microphone(s) to a position on the top  — an ideal spot for catching wind noise. Apart from adding an external microphone (not the most convenient thing to do while travelling) there was nothing one could do. I then saw that Micromuff had started to produce one of their stick-on wind mufflers for camcorders as well as DSLRs. I got one immediately and fitted it in time for a passage up the Mekong in northern Laos and in the mountains of Yunnan. And did the Micromuff work? Yes, brilliantly. There was an enormous reduction in wind noise.

The downside: the rude comments from fellow travellers on the lines of ‘his camera needs a haircut’ and ‘is that a toy mouse on his camera’. My advice: ignore the rabble and get a Micromuff.

I must admit I had never heard of Micromuff before reading about the fitting for DSLR. They appear to be based in UK.  Their website is at:
http://www.micromuff.com


My Sony HDR-XR550 wearing its Micromuff

No comments:

Post a Comment