Tuesday 18 August 2020

Microphone Wind-Noise Muff for Sony Camcorder AX-700

I previously described how I made a built-in microphone muff for the Sony FDR-AX33 (shown with full details here). I have now made one for my Sony AX-700. The process is a little easier because the curve of the body is not so tight and the self-adhesive Velcro does not lift so easily.

Again I used Velcro Heavy Duty Stick On with the hook half attached to the camcorder and the loop piece attached to faux fur fabric which came from eBay as ‘blue beige wolf’. This time I cut the tough Velcro using a wood chisel for the inner cut out and the outer edges of the hook half and for the inner cut out of the loop piece.

I trimmed the long fake fur to a more reasonable length. Depending on the direction the fur lies it is easy to produce a camcorder with a Trump or end up, like this one, with a Boris Johnson coiffure.

For those wanting to make one, here are the dimensions:





Care must be taken when removing the muff to get a finger nail between the two layers of Velcro and not between the fur and the loop Velcro. I make up several before long trips overseas and with some I make the loop Velcro/fake fur wider than the hook Velcro attached to the camcorder when I know I will be removing the muff frequently since it is easier to get a grip.

I have found these muff to be highly successful in reducing or obliterating wind noise. Using them I do not have to attach an accessory microphone. That makes clambering in and out of vehicles or simply dropping the camcorder in a bag much easier.



No comments:

Post a Comment